- What to expect of the accommodations
We are pleased that you have chosen 1st Choice Cabin Rentals for your getaway to Hocking Hills, Wayne National Forrest and the surrounding areas. The following information will help you have a relaxing trip. If you have any questions that are not answered here, please feel free to call or email us.
- What is the minimum booking age?
Booking age for cabins is 21 years old. -We do not rent facilities for after-prom, high school graduation parties, or college formal parties. All events are subject to approval by owners/management prior to confirmation of a reservation. What are the check in procedures for my stay? Check-in time is 3 pm. Early check-in will only be allowed with prior approval. Guests will be required to give a credit card to hold their reservation time when booking over the phone or online. You will be checking in directly to the cabin that you have reserved. We will do our best to have a representative meet you at the cabin. There is a combination or electronic lock box at each cabin/lodge and the code and directions to the cabin/lodge will be provided by management prior to your reservation date.
- Where are the cabins located?
Our cabins are located on individually owned, private and secluded properties. Our cabins are spaciously situated apart and in most cases are nestled on their own property so you will have your own private getaway. The cabin properties range from 3 acres all the way up to 100 acres per property. Some cabins are situated adjacent or within walking distance to Wayne National Forrest and some even have their own hiking trails. You will be given exact directions to your cabin. Addresses of cabins are NOT given out prior to check-in.
- What items are included in my stay?
Cabin/Lodge includes the following: – Bath towels, Hand towels, Wash clothes, Dish towels, paper towels, Toilet paper
– Hand soap, Dish soap, Dishwasher capsules – Comforter, Bed linens, Sheets, Pillows, Blankets – Plates, Glasses, Silverware, Cookware, Baking dishes, Mixing bowls – Coffee maker/s, Toaster, Blender, Microwave, Stove and Refrigerator – Cutting board, Knives, Forks, Cooking Utensils – Garbage Cans and Trash bags (indoor, outdoor, bathroom) – Grill: Propane is provided – Laundry facility: Washer/Dryer, Detergent is provided – Televisions, Cable & WIFI
- What items should I bring?
Personal toiletries (ie shampoo, conditioner, shower soap, including hair styling/drying tools) – Games, Movies – Food/food and Beverage related items (ie seasonings, coffee filters, etc.) – Clothes – Foil if you prefer to grill with foil – Seasonings for your food – Coffee and coffee filters.
- What do I do if I need assistance during my stay?
You can call 1-610-858-1756 or 1-610-906-9056. We will be happy to assist you.
- What do I do when I check out?
Check out time is 11am unless prior approval for a later check out was provide by management. There are check out instructions posted in each cabin/lodge. We ask that you please take the bed linens off the beds so we know what beds were used. You will also need to place your towels in the hampers/baskets provided in each bathroom. We ask that you considered the environment and to help keep our cost down and use 1 bath towel per guest or for longer stays wash and dry towels in the washer and dryer provided. All dishes and cookware, coffee makers, grills must be cleaned and any dirt vacuumed. Please make sure the premises outside have been cleaned (all cans, plastic or glass bottles should be in trash bags in put in the cans provided). Cigarette butts should not be thrown on the ground. Any excessive cleaning will results in additional fees.
- Do all of the properties on your website have access to a pond?
The Pines, Whitetail, Sandy Run and Fullbrooks lodge have access to ponds on the properties. Additionally, The Pines, Whitetail and Sandy Run have access to Sand Run Lake. Alternatively, all of our cabins are only a short drive to Lake Hope, Burr Oak and Lake Logan and the Hocking Hills State Park offers public swimming (either lake/beach or pool). Nelsonville also has a public swimming pool within a 5 mile drive from any of our cabins.
- What if I book online and the rates do not reflect the website specials/pricing?
While we do our best to keep the reservations system pricing up to date, there will be special promotions or offers that will not reflect the charge or discount you will be given. We make a point to speak with all our customers and make sure you understand the price you will be charged with all applicable discounts and taxes prior to charging you card. If you book through an outside website prior to speaking with us we cannot guarantee discounts will be credited properly.
- Can I bring additional guests to stay at the cabins?
You can only have people at the cabins that are paid guests. It’s also very important that you properly account for all guests that will be staying at the property prior to arriving at the cabins. We have a maximum capacity for each cabin and anyone found with more guests will be grounds for eviction and no refund.
- Can I bring my pet?
We do allow for well-behaved dog(s) to stay at some of our some of our cabins. There is a $50 dollar additional pet fee and proof of current vaccinations.
- Is there daily housekeeping?
We do not provide daily maid service. Your cabin will be cleaned especially for you prior to your arrival. We will do everything we can to make sure your cabin is ready for your stay. It is our mission to provide you the cleanest cabin in the area so that you will become a guest for a lifetime.
- Should I bring bottled water?
Note that all of our properties have public water. If you prefer, you may bring bottled water to drink for your stay.
- What if I book one weekday and one weekend?
Weekend – Weekday Rates Combinations of Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday (2 nights) will result in a weekend rate charge for both nights.
- What are Holidays / Holiday Weekends?
New Year’s Eve, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, week of Thanksgiving, Week of Christmas, Christmas Eve/Day, the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- Where is the nearest grocery store?
In Nelsonville there is a Kroger’s, Family Dollar and Dollar General for you to pick-up groceries or sundries.
- Where are the nearest restaurants?
There is a wide variety of restaurants to choose from in the area from fine dining to fast food. The Visitor’s Guide supplied in your cabin also has a section for dining. Also, please visit our link for Things to Do.
- Where is the nearest gas station?
In Nelsonville you will find several gas stations to choose from. Nelsonville is about 3-5 miles from where the cabins are located
- What happens if there is an electrical outage?
Unfortunately we do have electrical outages once in awhile. We suggest you bring a flashlight for emergencies. From time to time, TV, appliances, hot tubs, water and electricity etc. will break down or malfunction. While we cannot refund any monies due to these issues that may be beyond our control, we will respond as quickly as we can to make repairs and restore amenities.
- Will we see woodland creatures and insects?
We do have our cabins professionally exterminated, but they are not bug or mouse proof. Please remember you are in the forest, and we have invaded their habitat, so chances are you will see insects, spiders, or mice. You most likely will encounter various woodland creatures such as deer, wild turkey, raccoons, squirrels and a wide variety of birds for bird watching. Please do not feed or approach wildlife. Do not leave food out at night, you may have uninvited guests at your cabin.
- Are the cabins open during the Winter?
Our cabins are open year round. Winter is one of the most beautiful seasons in the hills, with the forest open to view the ridges and wildlife. A few of our driveways are steep, but we do our best to keep snow and ice removed so that your cabin will be accessible. No refunds due to inclement weather.
- Is HUNTING, FIREARMS, FIREWORKS AND ATV’S allowed on property?
No Hunting, firearms, including paintball and air guns, and fireworks are NOT permitted on any of our properties. You may bring your ATV to the property, but you cannot ride it on the property. There are ATV trails in the Wayne National Forest near Nelsonville about a half hour drive from most cabins. Please see our ATTRACTIONS PAGE.
- Can you pick up Verizon cell phone use from the main location?
Verizon is sort of hit & miss, but you will get some reception.
- How close are the cabins from Hocking Hills State Park?
Our cabins location is within 15-20 minutes to Cedar Falls and Ash Cave, and just a little further to Old Man’s Cave.
- Do the cabins have a maximum stay? (like one month…year)?
Most often, we do not have the availability to do anything that long, unless it is planned well in advance.
- When you go fishing, can you catch and keep them along without throwing them back?
At the ponds on our properties, it is just catch and release. That is not the case at Sand Run Lake, Lake Hope or Lake Logan.
- Do the cabins have a wine bottle opener?
Yes, the cabins all have corkscrews.
- Do cabins have basic seasonings like salt & pepper?
We do supply salt, pepper & sugar in all of the cabins.
- Do all the cabins have some type of refrigerator?
Yes, they do.
- Do you have ATV trails in the winter we can ride on?
We do not allow ATV riding on our cabin properties. Wayne National Forest has great trails, but they are closed over the winter.
- Do you have fire pits, and can you bring your own wood?
Each cabin has a fire pit. We ask that you not bring your own wood, in an attempt to stop the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer. Firewood is for sale on our website, and multiple other locations throughout our area. If you order with us we will make sure the firewood is there when you arrive.
- I’m planning a vacation for 25 of my family members. We don’t have to stay in the same cabin but we would like to be close to each other. Is there anything available?
Yes, At Sand Run Lake Resort we can accommodate up to 26 people between 3 cabins on the same property.
- Is incense allowed in cabins?
We prefer that you not burn incense in the cabins, but we do permit candles.
- If we have the maximum guests staying but other people wanted to stop by and then leave would that be allowed, or would we have to pay for them as well?
I am sorry, that would not be allowed. We do not allow any visitors, and do not allow any more people than the maximum occupancy.
- Is incense allowed in cabins?
Do all the cabins have microwave ovens? Yes, they all have microwaves.
- I want to surprise my girlfriend with a weekend stay to celebrate our anniversary. I am 21, and will be making the reservation as it is a surprise, although my girlfriend isn’t 21. Will that be an issue?
We do require that ALL guests be over 21.
- Will I need to bring dish washing soap and bathing soap?
We provide dish soap and hand soap, but you should bring soap for bathing.
- Is there a wifi connection at all cabins?
All Cabins have Wireless Internet Access. We are in the process of getting WIFI into the Montana.
- Do any of your cabins have king size beds? if so which ones?
Two of cabins have King Size beds (Bobcat and Red Cardinal) all of our other cabins have queen size beds.
- If we rent a cabin over the Christmas holiday, are we allowed to put up a Christmas tree?
Our Cabins will be decorated for the Christmas Holidays.
- Do the cabins have toasters?
Yes, they do.
- Do the cabins have alarm clocks or do we need to bring our own?
Yes, the cabins do have alarm clocks.
- Do you have hair dryer in the bathrooms?
No we don’t provide hair dryers in all the cabins.
- Are there night lights in the cabins? Or outside lighting?
All of the cabins do have night lights. Some of our cabins have outside overhead lighting. Others only have just a light on the front and back porch that can be turned on or off. If you have a preference for or against outside lighting, give us a call and we can suggest the perfect cabin for you.
- How far away is the nearest restaurant from the cabins? Do they require reservations?
The closest restaurants are Rhapsody and Rock Boot Grill in Nelsonville . There is also a Dining Lodge at Lake Hope State Park that is open year round.
- Can you burn the wood that is dead and on the ground around your cabin?
Yes, you can. We just ask that you not use anything that is not dead.
- Do the cabins have a blender?
Yes, they do.
- Do you have to let your fish go everwhere you catch it?
On our properties, all ponds are catch and release, but the other lakes in the area are not.
- Are the grills at the cabins charcoal or gas?
All of the cabins have gas grills, and a tank and a spare are both provided for each grill.
- Do any cabins have air conditioning?
Yes, they all do…either window units or central air.
- What about cooking utensils, pots, pans etc? Do we need to bring those?
Plates, silverware?Nope! That’s all there in the cabin for you.
- Are there any Trash Dumpsters available, or do we take care of our own trash?
Housekeeping will pick up your trash following your stay. There is a large can outside, in addition to the inside trash for use during your visit.
- Do you give military discounts?
Yes, we have a 10% off discount for all active military.
- Can you stay for just one night during the week?
Yes, Sunday through Thursday there is no minimum stay requirement.
- When and how are the hot tubs cleaned?
The Hot Tubs are cleaned and maintained with chemicals like a swimming pool. We service the hot tubs after every stay, and on extended stays, on the third day and every other day thereafter.
- Is there any horseback riding areas close by?
There are several riding stables in the area. Just visit the links in the “Activities” area on our site.
- Is there Daily Room Service?
Most of our guests prefer not to be disturbed, so we give them as much privacy as we can. For this reason, we do not provide daily housekeeping, but we will visit to service your hot tub if you are staying more than two days.
- Can you smoke in the cabins?
No, but you are welcome to smoke outside. Smoking inside will result in a $250.00 fine.
- Can we stay an extra night if we decide at the last minute?
Sure. As long as it is available you can book another night, and many of our guests do.
- Do you have an area close by for ATV riders?
Wayne National Forest has ORV trails. It is about 1- 5 miles from our cabin locations.
- Do all your cabins have cable TV?
Yes, all of our cabins have cable TV & WIFI